Kung Fu Wins Buckets!
So after getting to Ko Phi Phi by way of a Charabang, a boat and a lot of walking we found ourselves caught in the middle of a rainstorm and chatting to the Irish girls in the chalet next door. They let slip that there was a pub on the island which paid people in Samsong buckets for getting up and having a go at Thai boxing. We were sold!!!
So after a late lunch where you could order anything as long as it was Pad Thai with chicken (seriously he'd twist your order to be this whatever your original intension was!) we had a massage and then couple of beers and headed on down. The massage was a lot lighter than I expected - after what Laurie put me through! :-p Possibly too light so I might have to ask for something more severe next time! Fortunately we didn't end up at the parlour the boys next to us ended up at where they slipped their hands down their shorts and said "only massage no look"!!!! Filth!
What a genious invention - it was a pub with a full-size boxing ring inside!! Martin and I went up (after already having a few) and basically just had a great 3-round sparring match. Was a lot of fun though adrenaline mixed with aocohol and bouncy (& slippy at the corners) ring produced some interesting results. Some Canadian girl told me to use the Canadian boxing technique of kneeing your opponent in the face - didn't use that as would have been a bit messy with the whole open headguards thing I think! We weren't supposed to be using elbows or kicking to the balls...but Martin caught me a cracker with a dragon tail kick which was dutifully returned and we both got warnings!!
Later a guy called Matt was looking for an opponent. He said he didn't do any kind of fighting sports which was reassuring as I was already completely shattered sop I said I'd fight him. Ten seconds in the ring and it was obvious he was a boxer. It was interesting to see how I fared. He only ever caught me on the counter attack (once I was in close range) & usually with a right-round. I was definitely overreacting with my guard by this point (I blame alcohol haha!) but got a fair few strikes of my own in and plenty of rice-bails - kind of becoming my signature after the KF holiday! I really didn't like the whole boxing gloves thing - its really slowed everything down and provided too much momentum...combined with the buckets of Samsong it became more difficult to change direction wquickly! All was left til the final round though when he managed to pip me to the post. Aargh. Lesson well-learnt though - fight boxers from a distance with your legs. He was a good guy though and even donated his bucket to the Martin and Ian charity for the drunk and disorderly! Caught up with them all in Apaches later and he admitted that he was an amateur boxer...along with all his mates - none of which would fight him!! We should have some pics of the whole event soon so watch this space!
Progressed through a few more beach-front bars soaking up everything in sight and then headed back and woke the girls up with much singing and stuffing of Baguettes into faces so we weren't any too popular the next morning!
So after a late lunch where you could order anything as long as it was Pad Thai with chicken (seriously he'd twist your order to be this whatever your original intension was!) we had a massage and then couple of beers and headed on down. The massage was a lot lighter than I expected - after what Laurie put me through! :-p Possibly too light so I might have to ask for something more severe next time! Fortunately we didn't end up at the parlour the boys next to us ended up at where they slipped their hands down their shorts and said "only massage no look"!!!! Filth!
What a genious invention - it was a pub with a full-size boxing ring inside!! Martin and I went up (after already having a few) and basically just had a great 3-round sparring match. Was a lot of fun though adrenaline mixed with aocohol and bouncy (& slippy at the corners) ring produced some interesting results. Some Canadian girl told me to use the Canadian boxing technique of kneeing your opponent in the face - didn't use that as would have been a bit messy with the whole open headguards thing I think! We weren't supposed to be using elbows or kicking to the balls...but Martin caught me a cracker with a dragon tail kick which was dutifully returned and we both got warnings!!
Later a guy called Matt was looking for an opponent. He said he didn't do any kind of fighting sports which was reassuring as I was already completely shattered sop I said I'd fight him. Ten seconds in the ring and it was obvious he was a boxer. It was interesting to see how I fared. He only ever caught me on the counter attack (once I was in close range) & usually with a right-round. I was definitely overreacting with my guard by this point (I blame alcohol haha!) but got a fair few strikes of my own in and plenty of rice-bails - kind of becoming my signature after the KF holiday! I really didn't like the whole boxing gloves thing - its really slowed everything down and provided too much momentum...combined with the buckets of Samsong it became more difficult to change direction wquickly! All was left til the final round though when he managed to pip me to the post. Aargh. Lesson well-learnt though - fight boxers from a distance with your legs. He was a good guy though and even donated his bucket to the Martin and Ian charity for the drunk and disorderly! Caught up with them all in Apaches later and he admitted that he was an amateur boxer...along with all his mates - none of which would fight him!! We should have some pics of the whole event soon so watch this space!
Progressed through a few more beach-front bars soaking up everything in sight and then headed back and woke the girls up with much singing and stuffing of Baguettes into faces so we weren't any too popular the next morning!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home